The Albany theatre is a revamped proscenium arch theatre just outside the centre of Coventry.
The building that is the Albany Theatre, built as a lecture theatre, called the Great Hall, sat at the heart of Coventry Technical College, which opened in 1935.
Coventry was a world centre for engineering in the late 19th century. As technology became more complex, the construction of machine tools became more specialised and the need for a better-trained workforce grew.
In 1997, the space was being threatened as the college planned to turn the space into a computer lab, the theatre manager, Keith Wood fought hard to retain the theatre status for the space. The arts council granted a lottery grant for “Refurbishment of Community Theatre”. Because of this, the council awarded a clause in the contract of sale of the site, that the space had to remain a theatre. Despite the sale in 2008, it took till 2012 for anything happen to the space.
Finally a new paid Theatre manager was employed in 2015, but was later replaced by a team operating under an executive directors. Now the theatre is secure within the building for the next 25years! For more about the the history of the space and building, please visit the Theatre’s website.
Offering a wide selection of types of arts, theatre and music, it is a great space to visit. Check out the schedule of events on their website.